Friday, October 10, 2014

Thank You For What You Do



When we arrived, the scene was unreal.
It looked like two towers of burning steel.
What a first day as a fireman on the job.
I can now feel my heart start to throb.

Where do you start on a fire like this?
Everything around me seems to be amiss.
Captain said, "Grab your gear and run upstairs!"
By this time I'm starting to say my prayers. 

Couldn't go up for all the people running down.
Helped them out of the building and sent them downtown.
Wanted them to get away as quickly as they could.
They were not very safe where they stood.

By now, I realized this wasn't going to end very well.
Going back up those stairs was like running into hell.
Everywhere I stepped was debris and glass.
Gave encouragement to people as we pass.

Heard people jumping from the top.
Could hear their screams as they drop.
Must be pretty bad up there,
If the best option is jumping into the air.

Took out a picture of my wife and son.
Wanted one last look while on the run.
Surely this building won't fall flat.
Oh my God! What the hell is that...

No comments:

Post a Comment